Layer is building a machine learning operating system to empower data science teams to implement end-to-end machine learning effortlessly; from feature engineering, version control to model deployment. Layer helps teams to build, train and deploy ML into production at scale. Most importantly, Layer sits on top of your existing data and tech stack and works in your dev environment for you with zero friction.
Layer has an all remote culture as we aspire to work with the best talent, no matter where they live. We firmly believe that exceptional companies can only be built by exceptional people, who are passionate about their work, grounded, achieve more with less, full of grit, challenge themselves and their team relentlessly to do better, and have radical candor. Our team and culture is paramount to all else.
We are seeking a VP of Product to join our leadership team and lead our small but growing product team here at Layer. We are building a product that will radically change how companies interact with their data and how data science is done, and you will be core to that mission. This is a position for an entrepreneurial and empathetic leader where you'll be expected to substantially have a lasting impact on our brand, values, and methods for developing products.
This role requires coordinating all product activities from vision to implementation, including engaging customers to understand their needs, developing long-term product strategy, defining product roadmaps, working with engineering to build those products, and coordinating with various internal stakeholders (both pre- and post-launch) to ensure product success.
- Drive product mission, strategy, and roadmap with strong emphasis on lean methodologies.
- At least 5+ years of product management experience.
- Having worked on machine learning & data-intensive products.
- Having hands-on SQL/Python/Data analysis experience.
- Strong track record of delivering successful products with cross-functional teams in the B2B software industry.
- Excellent communication skills to clearly and concisely communicate complex topics to diverse stakeholders (engineers, designers, customers, etc.) in written and verbal form.
Highly regarded pluses
- Background as a data scientist or business analyst
- Having a CS degree/software engineering background
- Early stage startup experience, ideally as a co-founder or as the first product manager
- Technical experience with platforms, mlops, data engineering, APIs, SaaS architectures, including:
- 1) Good knowledge of data management capabilities like data integration as well as analytics
- 2) Understanding of storage and compute on cloud vendors (AWS, Snowflake, Databricks)
- 3) Securely deploying cloud or SaaS based enterprise applications, containers, microservices & cloud services
Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Own the end-to-end product management process:
- 1) Gather customer requirements, design features and collaborate with a world-class engineering team to deliver a polished market-ready product
- 2) Own partner relationship with storage vendors, reducing risk and increasing opportunities for collaboration
- 3) Drive launches with product marketing through blog posts, release notes, webinars
- 4 ) Define and measure OKRs for your products
- Closely collaborate with a number of technology partners (cloud providers, data-related SaaS companies, etc)
- Maintain a healthy obsession with the rapidly evolving data science field
- Stay aware of the competitive landscape and market for data science solutions
- Confidently represent the company in customer and prospect engagements of any size.
- Immerse yourself in the customer experience to deeply understand the pain they experience in their current data science workflows
- Decisive and detailed oriented personality, and ready and willing to stand by their decisions.
- Ability to thrive in the dynamic environment that comes with being part of an innovative startup from its early days. That means flexibility and willingness to jump in and do whatever it takes to be successful.
- Ability to work with teams in multiple geographies.
What we value
- Strong communication skills in this multi-national open environment.
- Skills to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment with dynamic objectives.
Technologies we use
- We favor and support open-source.
- We mainly use Java in the backend with some Scala/Python. GraphQL and TypeScript on the frontend.
- Spark, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, CircleCI are important parts of infrastructure.
What we offer
- All-remote work style, work anywhere. Currently we prefer teammates to be within UTC to UTC+5
- Equity plan
- Highly competitive salary