At our core, Pallet is a design driven company. We believe that beautiful and functional design is central in creating products that have an impact. You will lead our design team — whether it's user research or delivery, you'll shape the roadmap and build world-class software in the process. We're looking to hire a generalist who can own the entire product design lifecycle and optimize for shipping quickly.
We believe that the future of hiring is distributed and community driven. Individuals are finding connection, education and content through digital communities. Whatever the medium, talent is congregating in communities at a scale we've never seen before. As a result, these communities have become exceedingly valuable resources for companies and recruiters to tap into. However, when it comes to hiring, these groups are constrained by janky, analogue tools— a hiring channel in slack, or a jobs feature at the end of a newsletter.
Pallet is the recruiting OS that unlocks this talent. We build recruiting tools for creators and communities that help their members to get hired. Our first product is a job board, but that's just the start. Currently, we're fortunate to partner with some of the best people in the space, and our early partners include Lenny Rachitsky, Femke, Packy McCormick and Makerpad (amongst many others).
In addition, we're backed by world class investors and have raised over 3.5 million dollars in seed funding. As a designer, you will have access to the product builders that support our mission as investors, including, but not limited to:
- Scott Belsky (Founder of Behance, CPO of Adobe)
- Manik Gupta (Former CPO of Uber)
- David Hoang (Director of Design at Webflow)
- Lenny Rachitsky (Former Product Lead at Airbnb)
What You'll Do
- Build and lead the design team. Spearhead projects across the entire product lifecycle, from ideation to delivery (there's a lot to design).
- Perform user and competitor research, wireframing, scenario mapping, and information structuring, to derive UX for new features and optimizing existing ones.
- Work directly with our CEO, and produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Work closely with the engineering team to implement finished designs and continuously iterate on our products, always looking to improve what has been done.
- Have a direct hand in shaping our roadmap and future features.
Who You Are
- Experienced in building world class mobile & web products.
- A full-stack designer, combining UX expertise, UI skill, constraints and teamwork to bring a feature to life.
- Ability to move at speeds normal people would find impossible.
- Ambitious and competitive, we're taking on a nearly trillion dollar industry and we want someone crazy enough to believe that's possible.
- A curious product mind. You want to touch and impact every aspect of the product.
- You respect and honor people from all walks of life. Pallet is an inclusive team and we treat people with respect regardless of their background.
- (Optional) Ability to manage people. While you will be our only designer for the foreseeable future, we envision you becoming a leader as the team continues to grow. If you'd rather remain an IC, that is an option as well!
- (Optional) A great poker player - Friday nights at Pallet are poker nights.
- (Ideally) Based in NYC. Remote available in exceptional cases.
Why you should join:
- We're taking on a massive industry with a new approach. The challenge is monumental, but in a space that hasn't seen innovation in a long time — we plan on upending it from the ground up.
- Be an early employee at a high potential startup. As one of our first employees, you'll have profound impact within the company. You'll be directly responsible for the team's successes, and will reap the benefits that come along with it.
- Work on a product that will improve lives. You will be directly supporting creators, communities and talented individuals to help move the industry of recruiting away from the nepotistic pipelines that have dominated it over the last century.
- You'll join a close-knit team of smart, talented, and motivated individuals. We're a team of former employees at companies like SpaceX, Peloton, Business Insider, UNICEF and Shipt.
- Above market rate compensation. We want to work alongside the best people in the world, and don't skimp on compensation.
Why you shouldn't:
- We're small, so if you'd prefer working in a more structured and established environment, we're probably not the right fit for you. Life here is fast paced, which we know is not for everyone.
- You don't like having a high level of responsibility. While we're extremely excited about what we've got on our hands, we won't pretend like we have all of the answers. Design problems will arise, you'll be the authority on solving those problems.
- You feel that work makes up only a small part of your life. While we respect and understand people who choose to live a more balanced lifestyle, we are maniacal about winning in a competitive space and need teammates who can throw themselves into our mission.
To apply, send an email and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!