About the job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Coupled with our passion for entertainment, the Consumer Insights team helps bring the consumer’s and creator’s voices into crucial decision-making.
Come join a diverse and collaborative team of researchers who work directly with data science, product, content, marketing and studio, bringing consumer insights to Netflix’s world of entertainment. Our primary research ranges from formative to evaluative, using approaches such as focus groups, in-depth interviews, quantitative surveys, social listening, conversation & audience analysis, as well as statistical modeling.
The right candidates will have training in rigorous, creative, and impactful research methods. They will be excellent communicators, passionate about how entertainment and tech come together to engage with new audiences, and the complexities of supporting teams that have a global and regional view of future solutions.
Consumer Insights internships in 2022 will be based in Los Gatos, California, or Los Angeles, California, depending on the specific team. Team descriptions can be found below.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with researchers and cross-functional partners to provide support and help identify and prioritize knowledge gaps, as well as providing ideas for methods on how to solve those knowledge gaps
- Independently design and execute small primary and secondary research projects
- Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways
- Collaborate in running sessions/workshops to help stakeholders understand and engage with insights
- Think beyond takeaways to turn them into actionable recommendations
- Currently enrolled in a PhD, master’s, or bachelor's program (minimum two years completed of bachelor) in Marketing, Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Communications, Anthropology, or related field.
- Can flourish in our unique company culture
- Must have at least one additional term (quarter or semester) of school left after the end of the internship
- Knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research methodologies (e.g., interview, diary study, UX evaluation, social listening, survey sampling and design, statistical analysis, regression modeling, and experimental design)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Some experience executing hands-on, primary research as part of the school curriculum
- Consumer Growth & Relationship: Our team focuses on how best to acquire new members and retain our existing ones globally. We work closely with product and data science to bring our current and prospective members to the center of everything we do. An ideal candidate will have experience in quant or qual social science research and be interested in diving deep into how we can continue to deliver value to our members.
- Content, Audiences & Promotion: The Content, Audience Promotion Team partners with the Content & Marketing teams to inspire the creation of compelling stories for people all around the globe. This role is an exciting opportunity for a curious, entertainment-loving candidate, who has strong analytical and communication skills and enjoys staying up-to-date with pop culture and entertainment trends. Social sciences / communications/marketing background and previous research experience is a plus.
- Enterprise Experience: Our team conducts research with and for the folks producing compelling content for our audiences at an unprecedented scale. Successful members of the team are strong communicators and relationship builders, inquisitive, great collaborators, with interest in improving B2B workflows and making the work our colleagues and partners do easier through the use of technology.
- Social Insights: Our team is deeply embedded within online culture and is constantly thinking about how people form communities online and how influence is created. Candidate ideally has experience performing social media research (social listening, digital analytics) but could also be a more traditionally trained researcher (anthropology, ethnography, psychology, sociology etc…) keen to apply these skills to digital/social areas of research.
The Summer Internship
At Netflix, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups based on interests and skill sets, and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Netflix is a unique place to work and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about our culture.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, with a choice of a few fixed start dates in May or June to accommodate varying school calendars. Conditions permitting, our summer internships in 2022 will be located — depending on the team — either remotely, in our Los Gatos, CA, or in our Los Angeles, CA, office.
Netflix is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.