IDU Chief Technology Officer
Make A Positive Impact
We’re a team of ideators and doers, continuously reimagining our products to transform the sustainability of logistics all over the world. The demand for parcel delivery to homes, hospitals and businesses is growing exponentially. We make things more efficient and better for the planet. Drones have the potential to take millions of carbon-emitting delivery trucks off the roads. Our smart infrastructure enables - we make autonomous drone delivery a reality for day-to-day life.
Every new product, service or feature we invent is the result of people coming together to inspire and challenge one another, striving towards a common goal of doing our best work and making a positive impact. Ultimately, we want to connect our communities of today, by enabling the drone technologies of tomorrow.
We are working in partnership with industry regulators, academia and the private sector, including household brands in telecommunications, healthcare and consumer parcel delivery.
Our team is about to scale quickly, meaning you will join us at an exciting stage. There is opportunity to make your mark on the company and its products as CTO, as we continue to lay the operational and cultural foundations for the next phase of our journey. Our team comes together around core values of sustainability, creativity, alignment, authenticity, collective effort, and ‘Say:Do’ - where we follow through on what we say as the key to operating as a team with the trust and ability to make one another’s ideas stronger. We strive to create an inclusive workplace where different viewpoints are encouraged and the best idea - no matter the source - is put into action.
We are looking to appoint a CTO to bring their vision for technologies that transform the way society and smart cities integrate logistics and transport. You will work collaboratively with the IDU founders and senior team to refine our existing patented solutions, as well as lead the design and development of our innovation pipeline. IDU has established an open and co-creative culture, where your vision is a welcome contribution as we continue to shape the business.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of bringing compelling ideas to market successfully, leading and inspiring high performing teams. You will either already have an active interest and awareness of drones, avionics, and aerospace design, or be enthusiastic to learn about an emerging sector. You will be comfortable communicating with people in all types of roles - from executive teams and investors to technical professionals and IDU partners. You will work with the CEO to lead product trials and industry-wide projects across Europe, US, and Canada, which are helping to progress industry testing and public acceptance.
- Lead the technical development of IDU’s innovation pipeline and product feasibility process, developing products to commercially driven timescales
- Establish, direct and manage Engineering Research and Development Labs in support of new product and engineering developments and concepting
- Provide advice and ownership of regulatory compliance for IDU’s technical solutions
- Technical leadership and management of our cross-functional engineering and software development team, developing and communicating the technical vision to our team, setting and managing clear goals and objectives
- Refine IDU’s existing prototypes, engineering robotics and AI technology in collaboration with leading industry bodies and partners
- Own the technology procurement strategy by identifying the elements of the system that we need to develop in house, outsource or acquire
- Lead the architecture, concepting, design, development, testing and Industrialisation of Industrial Robots
- Scope, plan and lead the execution of various projects on technology and engineering development, value engineering and systems integration
- Day-to-day technical direction, tracking of progress towards project milestones, running technical governance reviews and maintaining up-to-date project critical information using our internal systems
- Provide engineering support for Beta Sites, trade shows and media, as appropriate, (supported by our team and advisors)
Skills and experience:
- Depth of knowledge and active interest in robotics, electrical engineering and computer science, including expertise in software, connectivity, cloud technologies, data engineering/science and machine learning acquired through a relevant educational background with at least 10+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience of successfully building and managing a mission-critical, cross-functional team to deliver an emerging technology
- Work closely with external parties to provide Design Engineering, Project Mgmt., Testing and Validation capability or as appropriate according to the product development strategy for a given project
- Leadership that demonstrates professional will and persistence, - compassionate yet unyielding in achieving your team’s goals during uncertainties and personal humility
- Communication technologies from WPAN to 5G & Embedded and Edge computing
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to travel internationally to support projects in the USA, Canada, and EU
What Team IDU offers:
- A competitive salary with benefits
- Great experience in a rapidly growing international company
- Flexible, friendly, and engaging working environment
- An exciting, fast-paced culture where we can truly make a positive impact on the world
- Easy-going, social team who gather around shared interests, learning and enriching experiences
- We plan to incorporate community outreach in the coming years, providing opportunities for our team to support future generations through STEM programmes in education and offering your expertise to community projects that improve the places where we live and work
Now, the touchy-feely stuff:
- We want to make the world a better place by enabling drone technology of tomorrow through smart infrastructure.
- We are looking for someone who shares our, passion, vision… and goes the extra “air” mile to bring it to life
- You will need to be insanely focused and inventive
- We do not just want someone who can tick the boxes, we're looking for someone who can solve problems of all sizes, lean into the chaos, and help us get better every day
- Do you think you can roll your sleeves up, and get your hands dirty in the making, building, problem-solving and growing?
IDU Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer, meaning employment with us is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.