👉 What is CHPTR?
CHPTR is a platform to gather, share, and hold memories. Our vision is to honor life's purpose by sharing stories from the past to shape the future. We do this by democratizing access to memorialization with a tech-enabled platform fueled by community. Founded by Rehan Choudhry, former founder of Life is Beautiful festival, and Perfecto Sanchez, founder of Keep The Change, two experts in brand committed to elevating purpose and shaping the future of community.
🔮 About the role
We are looking for a talented back-end developer to help build the next iteration of CHPTR from the ground up. Our vision for CHPTR includes growing the product to include many technically challenging and complex features. You'll partner with a front-end engineer to develop and execute on a plan that will get us there. You will have complete autonomy to shape our back-end infrastructure from day one.
Our ideal candidate is based in NYC and is comfortable with a hybrid working approach (50% remote, 50% in-person) once it's safe to do so. However, we're also willing to consider exceptional candidates outside of NYC who are able to work remotely.
✏️ What you will do
- Lay the foundation and lead design, development, and maintenance of the backend infrastructure for CHPTR
- Contribute in the product development process including UX design, customer interviews, new feature development, and guiding decisions based on your technical knowledge
- Work cross-functionally with the CHPTR team throughout development
- Grow with the company––we will invest in your growth as an engineering manager, individual contributor, or even product leader depending on your goals
💪 What you bring to the table
- Experience developing new software products from scratch with the ability to write understandable, maintainable, and testable code
- Experience with back-end development using Node.js and TypeScript, and with containerization using Docker
- Have strong opinions but are not ideologically tied to specific technologies; naturally curious and willing to take a step to learn something you don’t have experience in; comfortable picking up new stacks and choosing the right tool to get the job done
- Empathy, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to learn new tools and technologies quickly
💯 Bonus points:
- Experience with back-end and general-purpose development using Python
- Experience with DevOps and managing cloud infrastructure
- Experience with low-code backend technologies such as Hasura or KeystoneJS
- Experience with search technologies such as Elasticsearch
- Experience with front-end development using React and/or React Native
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway - we look forward to hearing from you!
🧑🚀 Why join us
A music festival founder and an impact strategist got together to reimagine the memorialization industry. Here are a few reasons why you should join us:
- 🤓 Experienced team. Work closely with an experienced founding team with support from a roster of impressive investors/advisors, including Animal Capital, On Deck, and even Christina Aguilera.
- 🎯 High-impact work. Do meaningful work that makes a difference. CHPTR is tackling an ambitious mission to reimagine the memorialization industry.
- 🛠️ Learning & autonomy. We want you to grow more in this role than in any other job you've had. We'll do our best to guide and support you, but ultimately we trust you to further our mission.
🎁 Incredible perks
In addition to the more common benefits other startups offer, we have a few unique ones worth highlighting (full list here):
- 🔑 Coworking membership at the Betaworks coworking space in Chelsea.
- 🍎 $2,000/year Family, Health x Wellness stipend that you can use this on Calm or TalkSpace subscriptions, a Citibikemembership, monthly apartment cleaning, Barry's Bootcamp, childcare services, or anything else that helps you bring your best self to work each day.
- 📚 $2,000/year Professional Development stipend that you can put toward a Udacity nanodegree, attend a LeadDev conference (once it's safe), or order all the books you want. You can also take advantage of our partnership with On Deck to participate in any one of their fellowship programs.
- 🍼 12 weeks of parental leave for both the primary and secondary caretaker.
- 🏔️ Annual team-building in the Catskills.
- 🎟️ Occasional tickets to in-demand live events, one of the unique perks of working with a former music festival organizer!
📰 Learn more about CHPTR