On being a People Product Lead at balena
At balena, we treat our People function as a product, where our team members are our customers. The People team owns the tools and processes we use to hire, support, and grow our globally distributed team of ~100 people (and counting). They think deeply about the team member experience and how to enable all of us to be productive and fulfilled in our roles. They help to build connections across the team and promote the well-being of all balenistas.
In this role, you will work closely with both the People team and other cross-functional teams, including engineers, to build and maintain systems to support and scale our team. You will solve problems from first principles, borrowing from existing playbooks as appropriate, but always with an eye towards what makes sense for our unique context. Examples of the kinds of projects you may work on include: designing a global compensation calculator; creating career development pathways within a relatively flat organizational structure; establishing a mentorship program; and setting up the optimal legal structure for a distributed team. You can see how we approach challenges like these in our blog post about building our scheduling tool.
Balena has been remote-first since 2015, and we’re always looking for new ways to create the best possible organization for global teams. We believe everybody should have the opportunity to do fulfilling, meaningful work, regardless of where they live. Help us build the future of distributed work.
- Build scalable, creative solutions to enable our team’s success
- Gather and act upon team member feedback to iterate on People products
- Maintain, improve, and automate existing workflows such as hiring, on/offboarding, etc
- Own and update our team member policies and guidelines
- Communicate with team members and share resources about how to be successful and productive at balena
- Provide strategic input on organizational structure, culture, hiring, development, etc.
- Stay up to date on requirements and trends in building globally distributed teams
- Be a role model of our culture and seek opportunities to share our way of working with the world
- Experience building and managing processes across the employee lifecycle
- “Product builder” mentality. You care deeply about the experience of users (aka balena team members) and look for intuitive, elegant solutions to their problems
- Ability to work across teams (including People, Ops, Product, and Engineering) to push projects to completion
- Open to finding unconventional solutions to existing problems using technology and automation
- Open-minded, with a willingness to challenge and be challenged
- Ability to manage ambiguity and make tradeoff decisions in a fluid environment
- Continuous improvement mindset, with a desire to make self and others more effective
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and fluency in English
- Familiarity with globally distributed and/or asynchronous teams including the cultural, legal, and operational implications
- Experience leading high-impact projects in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Background partnering with cross-functional teams, especially engineers, to build great products
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you!
- Work with a talented and globally distributed team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
Who we are
Balena is a highly distributed company that has embraced a remote-first approach since 2013. We are a group of individuals from across the globe working together to achieve our mission: “reduce friction for fleet owners and unlock the power of physical computing”. For us, this means removing the barriers to entry for developing IoT products, whether that’s easing software deployments with balenaCloud, simplifying image flashing with balenaEtcher, or offering our own hardware based on our experience seeing thousands of devices running in production environments. We're engineering a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications at the Edge.
How we work
- We place trust and autonomy in our team to own the outcome of their work.
- We practice radical candor and transparency with open, honest, and clear communications.
- We embrace first-principles thinking and constantly challenge our assumptions.
- We organize ourselves based on the best use of our collective abilities to solve our highest priority problems at any given time, rather than by a strict hierarchy.
- We’re not afraid to fail as long as we learn from our mistakes.
- We’re always looking for common patterns that allow us to reduce complexity.
- We embrace short-term pain for long term gain, building products that will stand the test of time.