What you will work on
As a Technical Sales Engineer, you will wear multiple hats including technical pre-sales, solutions architect, and account manager. While closing deals is important, your focus will be on acting as the voice of the customer – understanding their use case, discovering pain points, articulating the value of the balena platform, sharing feedback with internal teams, and helping customers succeed and grow with balena. You will also be empowered to lead initiatives and drive improvements throughout the product development lifecycle, and will work closely with our product and engineering teams.
As a product-led company, we don’t follow a traditional sales playbook, and we don’t have quotas or targets. Instead, we take a bottom-up approach and work to continuously improve the product and reduce friction for new and existing customers.
- Identify, qualify, and nurture leads from our user base, inbound requests, and strategic outreach
- Own the end-to-end customer experience: deliver presentations and demos, lead negotiations, onboard new customers, facilitate understanding of the platform, and drive adoption and expansion
- Spot feedback patterns, dig deep to understand the root cause of customer challenges, help brainstorm long-term solutions, and collaborate across teams to launch new product capabilities
- Develop tools and automation to accelerate the sales process, streamline customer success, and enable self-service
- As needed, manage extended customer projects and service engagements (e.g. enterprise POCs)
- Skilled at understanding customer needs and coaching users on the value a product provides for their use case
- Ability to navigate product adoption and commercial processes within organizations of various sizes
- Ability to gather and interpret customer feedback and align internal efforts to develop features and product improvements based on this feedback
- Awareness - and healthy skepticism - of SaaS sales processes, and an interest in developing new ones to fit the balena context
- Highly organized, able to handle many threads at once, and keep things moving — you’ll be interacting with many different customers on any given day
- Continuous improvement mindset and desire to make self and others more effective
- Willingness to learn complex technical subjects and develop a deep understanding of our products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and fluency in English
As you will be covering customers in the Americas, we are interested in candidates from a timezone in the Americas.
- Previous customer-facing experience (e.g. pre- or post-sales, customer success, technical consulting)
- Experience working with IoT, infrastructure, or developer tool use cases
- Background in software development or other technical fields
- Familiarity with technologies like Docker and Linux, and single-board computers like the Raspberry Pi
- Knowledge of modern product-led go-to-market strategies
- Background in leading projects and working across functions to deliver ongoing value to customers
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you.
- Work with a talented and globally distributed team
- Equipment of your choice
- Remote-first culture
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
About working at balena
Balena is a distributed company that has embraced a remote-first approach since 2013. We are a group of individuals from across the globe working together to achieve our mission: “reduce friction for fleet owners and unlock the power of physical computing”. For us, this means removing the barriers to entry for developing IoT products, whether that’s easing software deployments with balenaCloud, simplifying image flashing with balenaEtcher, or offering our own hardware based on our experience seeing thousands of devices running in production environments. We're engineering a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications at the edge.
How we work
- We place trust and autonomy in our team to own the outcome of their work.
- We practice radical candor and transparency with open, honest, and clear communications.
- We embrace first-principles thinking and constantly challenge our assumptions.
- We organize ourselves based on the best use of our collective abilities to solve our highest priority problems at any given time, rather than by a strict hierarchy.
- We’re not afraid to fail as long as we learn from our mistakes.
- We’re always looking for common patterns that allow us to reduce complexity.
- We embrace short-term pain for long-term gain, building products that will stand the test of time.